If you ever want to Connect PCs you would use a router or an Ethernet cable to connect the two Windows 10 PC and make them communicate with each other. These are the painstaking but common methods of connecting PC. These are Pain Staking because they require extra work like firewall configurations IPv4 and IPv6.
But Still this did not solve your problem and you still want to connect two Windows 10 PCs. Keep Reading and Below we have given some steps on how you can connect two Windows 10 PC without a Router!
How to Connect Two Windows 10 PC
- Open Start Menu or press Windows icon from your keyboard. From here, type “CMD” or “Command Prompt”.
- Once it appeared for you, right click on it and click on “Run as Administrator” option.
- Once the Command Prompt is launched type the following commands:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=network name key=password
The Red Labels can be whatever you want them to be for example:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=teamchunky key=123456
- Press Enter on your Keyboard.
You would receive the following messages:
- Now you will need to start the hosted network. Just type the following command in the command prompt below.
Netsh wlan start hosted network
- Press Enter on the Keyboard
- If done Correctly a prompt should say “hosted network started”
In order to confirm if the hosted network has started, Open “Control Panel” of your PC. Go to “Network & Internet”. From there go to “Network & Sharing” Option. From here you can see your hosted network.
- Now on the second PC which you want to connect, Click on its Network options and you will find the hosted network you set before.
- Click on it and enter the password you set before.
Once it connects you will need to set sharing options of both PCs.
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing > Change Advanced Sharing settings. From there, Turn on “Network Discovery” and “File Sharing”.
Now a Local Disk will appear on both PCs. You can access it from “This PC”.
- To access content, Right Click on that disk. Go to Share with > Advanced Sharing > Share this folder and click “Apply“.
And you are done. This is the easiest way to connect two PCs without any 3rd party plugin or if you don’t have an Ethernet or Router. But if you want to use a 3rd party plugin you can use Shareit which is a file sharing App for PC to PC, PC to Smartphone and Smartphone to Smartphone. You can download it as it is free to use and available to everyone.
Is this guide limited to Windows 10 only?
No, we tested this guide on Windows 7 as well. So if you have Windows 7 installed instead of Windows 10, you can still follow these steps in order to connect two PCs together. If you find this post useful please leave a comment in the section below.