Do you have children that occasionally watch shows on YouTube or search for videos on YouTube or Netflix? Or do you have Teens in your house that use Social Media websites like Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr a lot?
Social Media websites are a bit like cigarettes, they’re addictive (in a sense) and sometimes marketed to kids by their addictive features. Enable restrictions on your PC to protect your Children, set privacy, hide your apps from smartphones and restrict their access to explicit content from the web. Let’s dig into the method to Block Social Media Websites on PC.
Fantastic Read: How to Personalize your Windows 10 Notifications
Method: 01 Block Social Media Websites on PC
No matter which versions of Windows you are using, you can Block Social Media Websites on PC by simply following these steps in almost every version of your windows.
- On your desktop Computer, simply launch the Windows Explorer and visit the specific directory on which you have installed Windows. Usually, it is the C drive.
- Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
- From here, Look for the “Hosts” file.
- Select the “Hosts” file, and right-click on it, and open it using Notepad in your PC.
- Then, scroll down to the end of the file and write “127.0.0.1”.
- next, press Tab and write the URL of any website that you wish to Block. For Social media Websites Type in their URLs. For example, www.facebook.com; www.twitter.com; www.Tumblr.com
- now, simply save this file anywhere in PC and restart your computer.
- You can now will not have access to use your blocked website now.
- You can just Follow the above method and erase Website and IP address you entered in the Host file and unblock the Website easily
Method 02: Block Social Media Websites on Mac
Just like windows, Mac also provides us a hassle-free way to Block Social Media Websites on PC. You can always launch the Terminal> Hosts file and add the websites you need to block. Although, in Mac, you can also get assistance from the Parental Control app to Block certain websites. It can be done by underneath steps:
- Make another account for your kids on your Mac.
- Go to the System Preferences on your Mac.
- Then, launch the Parental Controls section from here.
- Select the account you wish customize settings for and click on the lock icon at the bottom of this menu. You would be needed to provide your password credentials to access these customized settings.
- Then, go to the Web tab from here and under the Website Restrictions section, enable the option of “Try to limit adult websites automatically”.
- Once done, click on the “Customize” option from here, to access more options.
- Click on the Add (“+”) icon, under the “Never allow these websites” statement and manually enter in the following website www.facebook.com in this list.
- In the end, save your settings and exit this panel to continue.
- Follow the same whole process to enter other websites to block in the above-mentioned list.
Must Read: How to Install Windows 10 on Mac
Method no 03: Block Any Website on a browser
Besides Blocking websites through your system, you can also Block any website by your web browsers. These days, all popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc. They come with latest features day by day. Explore more and have fun around blocking websites from your kids and other people.
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click on the three-dot menu, then click on settings.
- Scroll down to Advance and under the “System” section, click on the “Proxy Settings” option.
- This will launch a new pop-up window to Internet properties menu. Go to the “Privacy” section from this menu and click on the “Sites” button.
- Here, you can write the URL of the website you need to block.
- Click on the “Block” button and save your settings.
- Launch Firefox on your system.
- Here, visit its settings/options from the menu bar.
- Then, Select the “Privacy & Security” option on your left side panel and go to the “History” section.
- Next, click on the “Exceptions” button from here and manually provide the URL of the website you need to block.
- Open Internet Explorer and go to its Tools > Internet Options settings.
- This will launch a new pop-up window for yours.
- Go to its “Content” section and click on the “Enable” option from here, under the Content Advisor section.
- Next, Under the “Approved Sites” tab, you can provide your browser the URL of the website you need to block.
- From here, Click on the “Never” button and save your applied changes.
Furthermore, you can also use add-ons, extensions, and third-party tools to Block Social Media Websites or any other website on your computer.
Method no 04: Block Social Media Websites selectively based on user or time of day
If blocking a website from all users are killing your time and you need to control on this mess then, try using your router’s web interface to Block Social Media Website or a Particular website selectively.
- Open any browser on your pc.
- Enter your router’s IP address into the address bar. (if you don’t know it, try entering in any common IP address such as http://192.168.1.1, http://192.168.0.1, or http://192.168.2.1)
- Enter your username and password credentials. If you haven’t changed the username and password yet, and you don’t know the defaults as well, visit Port Forward’s Default Router Passwords page to find them here.
- Browse to the section where you can block websites, computers, and other access during certain times of day with this feature. Router interfaces may vary but look for a section with the name “Access Restrictions.”
- Enter the details of the content and the users you’d like to restrict websites for and save your changes.
Disclaimer: Always Remember to exercise caution first, when editing your host’s text file, and always make sure you back up your files before you edit them. Good luck!
Method no 05: Block Social Media Websites without any Software
It doesn’t matter which versions of Windows you are using you can Block Social Media Websites on PC anytime pretty easily. The underneath mentioned process is quite similar and can be implemented in almost every version of windows.
“How to Block Social Media Websites on PC without any software”
- Follow these simple Steps.
- On your PC, Go to your “C” Drive and open “Windows” folder.
- Search for “System 32” folder and open “Drivers” folder from here.
- Next, from Drivers Folder open “etc.” folder.
- However, If you have Windows 7 then right click on “host” file in etc folder> properties >security tab and select user account here. click on full control.
Do you have got any additional tips and tricks to share with us? We’d love to hear them!
Here are a few things you might also be interested in: